Thursday, December 19, 2013

"What I've achieved this year...2013 in review..."

I know everyone says this, but it really is hard to believe another complete year has gone by. I  definitely had some mental notes about what I would like to accomplish this past year. I wish I had been better about writing down my goals and wishes for 2013, so that now when our blog circle of artists are being asked to reflect, I could do so more easily. I jotted down a quick list, and hope I didn't miss anything. To share a little more about me, and my work process...I am a list maker. I make a list each week of my to-dos for that week. Some more urgent than others. It seems to help me stay on task and get things done!

Although I started my business in 2011, I really considered 2013 as my second full year of business. I learned SO much throughout the process of year two. Here's my list of accomplishments for the year, with details, if available.

1. Set up my own website. I used a template, and Wix, and was able to transfer/sell my domain over to them to keep everything as streamlined as possible. I had never done anything like that, but found that trial/error was the best way to navigate my way. I kept in mind that there was nothing I could do on there that could not be erased, edited or removed. It took a lot of the pressure off creating the website. I feel that a website is a crucial part of any business these days. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you'd like. Point is, get one!

2. I purchased a new wide format pro quality printer. This gave me the opportunity to print on demand, as well as save on gas and money to go pick up my artwork at the printer. I have since learned more about HP products, and the ins/outs of their printers. So far so good!

3. Got my first two art licensing contracts. I joined a group on Linked In called The Art of Licensing and was contacted by someone who wanted to represent me. I had already decided that it was the way to go for me, as my time is very limited with raising two children, in addition to my business! I have given her the title of "Art Coach" and it has been an amazing experience. I have learned a lot, and have some good prospects going into 2014. I feel incredibly blessed to have her find me! And I trust her immensely, which is an important part of any relationship!

4. I started using Facebook ads occasionally, mostly to build up my fan base on Facebook. It was good exposure to some new friends, and it was within budget,which is very important.

5. I participated in two Queen Bee Market shows this year. This is a big event, and is becoming well known as the show to be at, so there is a lot to do in preparation for this event. I always want my booth to be bigger, better and have more product each time. Lots of hours go into this event, and it has become one of my successes each season. In addition to that, I have gotten to know many of the vendors, and we support eachother as much as we can. The best part of it? I get to meet and greet customers, which is rare in a home based/online business. It really is my favorite part!

6. I remember distinctly that one of my goals for 2013 was to get published! I chose to submit artwork to Somerset Studio, and was lucky enough to be chosen three times. I was published in Somerset Studio three times twice, and once in Somerset Apprentice, which was an article. Very exciting for this Artsy Girl!

7. I set up a Society6 shop online, which gave me the opportunity to sell my artwork on fabric pillows and tote bags.

8. I made a point to stay active in my Facebook Flyer Sisters Group. This is a group of amazing ladies who all took the Kelly Rae Roberts, Flying Lesson Ecourse in 2012. We became a FB group after, and are still going strong. These ladies are my lifeline so often, as they get where I am coming from. My highs, lows, and everything in between. I am blessed by each and every one of them!

9. I was asked to be the main teacher at the 12th Annual Survivor Crop event in October 2013. In addition to that, I chose to be a business sponsor as well. This is a breast cancer fundraising event that has become one of the top 10 fundraisers for Susan G. Komen San Diego each year. In addition to that, I was a participant. A fun 24 hours, followed by a week of exhaustion!

10. Had a new logo/branding design created, just for me! I hired LimeFish Studios from Etsy. I knew I liked her designs for other companies, and she did an excellent job of creating and listening to what I wanted to convey. I am grateful to her for her talent, and am happy to recommend her!

11. Taught a mixed media canvas project to 100 women for the Crafting For Life event in Spring 2013. It was a ton of prep, and a heartwarming event. I loved meeting so many women from different ages and walks of life. Many of them had never done mixed media. I have been asked to come back for 2014, and happily agreed.

12. I took the Oprah/Brene Brown class during the fall. My busiest time of year! It was a welcome break from my busy season, and I am happy to report I finished the course when the class did! I am still working on the book, but am looking forward to taking Part 2 in 2014. As well as another class from Kelly Rae Roberts. I am a lifelong learner.

12. Last but not least...I networked, and networked, and networked some more. I got more involved in Linked In, Instagram, and even tweeted on Twitter once in awhile. I learned a lot from several e-courses I took and plan to do the same again in 2014.

So that's it for me! Looking forward to an even better 2014!
 I am sure I forgot a few things, and maybe even rambled on too long....

Feel free to follow this Blog Circle to the next wonderful lady, Robin at http://robinkeahnheim.com/

Happy Holidays!
~Monica

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you accomplished and learned A LOT this past year. Good for YOU! I've said it before, but it's worth repeating --> I am SO, SO glad to have been introduced to you and so many other creative women through, and since, our Flyers Group began. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A year in review I would say has been a good exercise for you Monica. You have had a great year ! And for someone like me who is just getting up and running , all of your accomplishments are on my wish list! So thanks for inspiring and giving me clarity. I too feel supported by this amazing group that is a wealth of knowledge. Lucky to have joined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok..... while you were out there taking the world by storm, I must have been sleeping! You my friend, are AMAZING!!!!

    Congrats on All and Everything! I don't even know where to begin except that I have seen your wonderful art in Somerset. YAY for you!!!!

    You are truly an inspiration and push me to want to do more in a better way. Thank you for sharing!

    Happy Holidays to you and your family and I think I'll be seeing you in Oprah/Brene Brown's class in the spring.

    Hugs, Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all that you've accomplished this past year and am SO happy to be getting to know you, and so many other creative women throughout the world. You, along with the others, are really making me rethink what I just MIGHT be able to complete in 2014! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica I loved reading your post! So inspiring. You have accomplished so many amazing things this year and you must feel incredibly proud and fulfilled. The licensing deals and Somerset publications are huge, amongst all the other biggies! Way to go girl!! Can't wait to see what 2014 brings for you. xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Monica! I am finally taking a moment to go around our last circle before the new one next Thursday. What a productive year you've had! I actually need to bookmark your post as a reminder that some of my goals are actually achievable! Congrats on your great 2014 and many blessings in 2014! xo Laly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the path you're taking in advancing your online business. Getting your own website, using social media, and even getting someone to make a logo for you are all great steps. Aside from these things you did online, joining contests and networking are also important to let people know more about you. Keep on doing this, and perhaps doing more would greatly help in giving you the traffic you need! Good luck!

    Ty York @ Ridge Top Marketing

    ReplyDelete